Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Journal Entry #1

Dear Journal ,
Today was a typical day in Toucantopia. I woke up as usual, and I could not wait to go to school. Our lesson today in survival school was learning how to make fire. I went to the community breakfeast where my entire family gathered. I am proud to say I ate the ripest banana today! My brothers and sisters started to play tag amongst the vines until our parents said it was time to go to school.
When I got to school, there were a lot of wooden sticks lying about randomly. I made sure to wrap my hands up in palm tree leaves so I wouldn’t get any splinters from rubbing the fire together. After everyone accomplished making our fires, we immediately put them out with water we had at hand. Afterward, our instructor gave us a very serious lecture about fire saftey in the rainforest. He stressed that it was crucial we always watched over our fires because if we did not, we would destroy our home, and make mother earth cry.
I got home the same time as the adults who went hunting today. I saw them carry a huge lion, lying upside down with his feet tied to the sticks. I could already taste the meat on my salivating mouth. To soothe my desire for thirst, I quickly plucked a mango from the mother’s basket, and took a huge bite into the ripeness. Unfortunately when I did this, juice was spread all over my chin, and everyone laughed me. I swung through the vines furiously as I tried to find the river where I would wash my face.
At dinner, we ate the lion that the men had hunted for us, and I’ll admit that it was a little over-cooked, but I think that might just be me being spoiled. I sat there with a full stomach infront of the bonfire, and the mood seemed to change significantly. Everyone was mellow, and quiet, watching the flames dance around the center of wood. Slowly all my school mates shut their eyes, and fell asleep right there at closing ceremony.
It is a tradition of mine to not fall asleep until the last wood has burned and everything is to ash. I do this because it gives me time to reflect and appreciate my life here in the rainforest. Some say it is a wild life to live, but I would categorize it as a refined wild life. I have everything I want here, and I do not intend to get bored of it, nor trade it for a busy city life. It is here in Toucantopia where I’ve found my sanction.
Sincerely,
Max Toucan
10 years old, 2/1/09

1 comment: